Create Your Recovery Playlist

 

“Across the history of time, music has been used in all cultures for healing and medicine,” ~Shilagh
Mirgain, PhD.

Recently, it seemed music was coming to me from all directions. My cousin told me about a country song by Anna Avery that made her think if me. Later I was checking YouTube subscriptions for new videos when I came across lists of songs to aid in recovery. It reminded me of how useful music is for healing. 

Kahlil Gibran said "Music is the language of the spirit. It opens the secret language of life by bringing peace, abolishing strife".

"I've found that no matter what life throws at me, music softens the blow." Said Bryce W. Anderson, and I would have to agree. 

An interesting dynamic with humans, is that we can get caught in a loop of repeated thoughts and emotions, mostly the ones that don't feel good like worry, fear, hurt, and regret. When that happens it can set the tone for hours or even days. Knowing how to reset ourselves and get to a better mood is a useful skill to have that saves us from needless suffering. Music is a potent and wonderful way to reset! 

Music has always played a significant role in my life, but sometimes I get so bogged down in my mood that I forget. How many of us have been in the dumps, got in the car and a song started to play. We started singing along, put it on repeat many times, and drove the long way to our destination, feeling better when we arrived. Music has the ability to lift our spirits, process grief, or fill us with energy. There is scientific evidence that music can have a profound effect on people.

I remember what I played years ago when I was going through a tough time. When no one was home I blasted Kojiki by Kitaro. It is powerful music and I would sob and sob and even now thinking about it tears come to my eyes. My other go to was George Harrison's Cloud Nine. It seemed I was driving my kids around all the time, and it was always playing in the car. My adult kids still remember that. Whether you are looking for a good cry or to lift a mood, music can help with ease and grace. 

What music moves you? What inspires, or comforts you? I encourage you to make a playlist for your recovery and use it like medicine. It is balm for your soul.

"Music can heal the wounds which medicine cannot touch." Debasish Mridha

Rock on!





 

Comments

  1. I've found that I forget to listen to music and instead of listened to podcasts and audio books. And while I enjoy them, it's not the same! Thanks for this reminder. My kids and I had a special playlist for our Cape Cod camping trips and just hearing one of the songs brings back such warm memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The same weekend that you wrote this, my son-in-law put me on his Spotify premium account and I have been listening to music more that I have in the last 10 years! My favorite at this point is Blue Fire Soul which involves ecstatic chants--very sensuous and body oriented.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Our Stories Matter

Listen...Your Body is Talking.